Best Selling J-Series Turbine Wins Again in Mexico:Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems’ 44th and 45th J units ordered by Iberdrola for CFE Project.
- Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Americas and Iberdrola win together in Mexico for the 2nd time in 6 months.
- Global Orders for Best Selling M501J Increased to 45.
- New 890 megawatt Noroeste Power Plant will supply enough electricity to meet the needs of over three million Mexicans, with record setting cost of electricity savings and extremely low emissions.
(Lake Mary, FL – April 27, 2016) Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Americas (MHPS) today signed a contract with Spain-based Iberdrola SA, a company with nearly 19 years experience operating in the Mexican market, to supply two J-series gas turbines, a steam turbine and long term service agreement (LTSA). The contract signing came only days after the Mexican Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE) signed a 25-year Power Purchase Agreement with Iberdrola to build, own, and operate the 890 megawatt (MW) Noroeste Power Plant. Located in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico, the combined cycle plant is expected to be online in 2019.
CFE selects power plant with M501J turbines for 2nd time in 6 months
The power plant will be equipped with two MHPS M501J gas turbines, each rated at 327 megawatts (MW), and one MHPS TC4F steam turbine. The award also includes a Long-Term Service Agreement. This is the second consecutive CFE Independent Power Producer (IPP) project to be awarded to Iberdrola based on the J-Series technology; the first was for the CFE Escobedo Power Plant near Monterrey, Mexico in October, 2015.
“Mitsubishi Hitachi’s commitment and support have been very important for the mutual success in Noroeste. MHPS is a reliable and trusted partner, and we look forward to having a very successful execution and electricity supply to CFE, our major customer in the world,” said Enrique Alba, general director of Iberdrola Mexico, the leading private producer of electricity in the country.
“Both utilities and IPP’s have embraced the best-selling M501J gas turbine because of its unique combination of industry-leading combined cycle efficiency approaching 62%, and proven reliability in excess of 99%,” said Miguel Vallejo, President of Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. “Iberdrola is a very important player in the Mexican Energy sector and worldwide, not only as producer but also as a technology developer, and now a strategic partner for MHPS. Iberdrola’s selection of the J-technology was strongly influenced by CFE’s desire for proven operational experience and industry leading performance,” added Vallejo.
Benefits of the M501J include:
- Lowest Cost of Electricity: In combined cycle operation, the J-Series gas turbine provides industry-leading fuel efficiency, maintenance cost, and plant cost. This combination of cost savings and fuel efficiency enables J-technology power plants to deliver the lowest cost of electricity in the industry.
- Operational experience: With 45 units ordered, 19 units in commercial operation and over 232,000 cumulative operating hours, the M501J stands alone in its 300 MW+ size range. No other 60 Hz product in this size range has even a single hour of operating experience.
- Reliability: The J-series has demonstrated over 99% reliability in commercial operation, a new standard for the power generation industry.
- Environmental Performance: Emissions of greenhouse gasses are lower than any other combined cycle power plant in operation today, and are 60% lower than a comparable coal-fired power plant.
- Flexibility: The rapid start and turndown capability of the newest generation of combined cycle power plants make them a great compliment to intermittent renewable power resources.